Mumps M/DB and M/DBX

Viktor Sovietov victor.sovetov@REDACTED
Sat Jul 4 17:34:44 CEST 2009

Hi Knuth

MUMPS concept is really powerful, but the good part of this power
exists because MUMPS interpreter is the part of DB engine and MUMPS
code is able to operate with native datastructures without any
transformations (like marshalling/unmarshalling). MUMPS databases are
fast and very scalable, but IMHO it would be difficult to avoid
dramatic drop of performance on bridge between Erlang and MUMPS.
Unfortunately.
Some time ago I tried to create Erlang/OTP-based replacement for MUMPS
with using tuples and lists to represent hierarchical index, but it
seemed that no one was interested to use such database.

Sincerely,

--Victor