[erlang-questions] The Beauty of Erlang Syntax

Christian chsu79@REDACTED
Tue Feb 24 22:54:59 CET 2009

What do you call a process that is funded by research money, that have
no predefined absolute goal, repeats the same test over and over again
with alternating parameters, and ends up with a result that may
disagree with the known practices, and nobody know where to use the
result.

Does it sound like an academic exercise?

Interestingly enough, Erlang happened because the
http://www.cs-lab.org/ repeated building a software project in
different languages to see which language did it best, ending up
creating a new language that nobody had asked for. This while
questioning other established software engineering practices in how
they handle programming in the presence of errors. And trying to find
someone willing to base a project on this new language. (This is all
according to the stories I've read about Erlang's genesis.)

In a way, the research that lead to Erlang was about finding a way to
making it faster to have low-skilled developers cranking out new
features. It certainly wouldnt be good PR if Erlang was a language for
highly-skilled developers to slowly cranking out old features.