[erlang-questions] Erlang marketing materials

Zvi exta7@REDACTED
Wed Feb 18 14:04:27 CET 2009

I looking for something like this, but for Erlang:

http://www.vitanuova.com/mkt/press/Inferno_overview.pdf

Compare Erlang/OTP against:
1. mainstream languages:  C/C++,Java, .NET
2. dynamic languages: Python, Ruby
3. distributed programming frameworks: CORBA, SOAP, Message Queue Servers
4. parallel programming frameworks: MPI, OpenMP, etc.

Erlang by domain:
1. Complex Soft Real-Time Control Systems
2. Mobile, VoIP and IM
3. Internet, Web 2.0
4. Grid / Cluster / Cloud Computing

Hynek Vychodil wrote:

> 2009/2/16 Daniel Goertzen <daniel.goertzen@REDACTED>
>
>> I showed that video to a colleague of mine and his first response was
>> "C++
>> would never have allowed a typo like that to compile in the first place."
>>
>> ... so maybe that video isn't the best piece of marketing material. :)
>>
>> Dialyzer would nail something like that these days, right?
>>
>> Dan.
>

> And your reaction should be "C++ would never allowed you finish project of
> this sort and size in meaningful time and effort (AXD 301)".

I see sometimes huge waterfall C++ projects finished more or less on time,
but with crappy quality :)

If Eran Hammer-Lahav was choosing Erlang for his microblogging startup,
maybe today everybody were using Nouncer instead of Twitter. Yet Twitter
built on slow-as-hell-Ruby is a winner now:

http://www.hueniverse.com/hueniverse/2008/04/the-last-announ.html

"The technology decision to use C++ was well founded. However, it failed to
take into account, or at least prepare for the inevitable reality of being
unable to find people to join me. Any major web company reaching massive
scale eventually turns to C/C++ for performance. Given the fact that Nouncer
had no competition at all when the idea was first conceived (and I am not
claiming to have invented microblogging – only that I came up with the idea
independently), I decided to take a little bit longer before launching to
build a solid foundation. This, of course, turned up as a big mistake ..."

Zvi