[erlang-questions] custom supervisor

Dave Smith dizzyd@REDACTED
Thu Sep 25 14:47:40 CEST 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 12:26 PM, Anthony Shipman <als@REDACTED> wrote:
> Is it possible to write a custom supervisor and include it an OTP environment?
> Looking at release_handler_1 in the sasl application is seems to assume that
> the implementation module for a supervisor is always stdlib:supervisor.

This is a question I'd love to see answered by the OTP team. There
have been several situations where I wanted to create a custom
supervisor, but in the end just went with a normal sup w/ another
process working as an interface (of sorts) to the supervisor to
accomplish my goals.

My understanding (perhaps flawed) is that you rarely want to introduce
new code into the supervisory tree since if you screw it up, it will
dramatically affect the overall stability of your application. But the
desire to customize the supervisor behaviour a bit more does pop up
often enough that I wonder if there is a better way to attack this
need for extensibility.

D.