[erlang-questions] Error building R12B-4 on Ubuntu 8.04 (SOLVED)

Mikael Pettersson <>
Mon Sep 15 17:18:57 CEST 2008

Michael T. Richter wrote:
>On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 16:29 +0200, Mikael Pettersson wrote:
>> I've seen this error only due to these two causes:
>> 1. the target directory (lib/hipe/ebin/) doesn't exist,
>>    this can happen if e.g. cvs export nukes an empty directory
>> 2. the partition you're doing the build on is full,
>>    or you've exceeded your quota
>#1 was it.  My revision control system nuked the empty directory.
>Thanks, Mikael.
>If I patched the Makefiles to actually create the output directories,
>would the patch be accepted?

I can't say, that's an issue for the OTP team to deal with.
Personally I like that solution.

Traditionally we (as in HiPE) have dealt with this by adding
.cvsignore files to otherwise empty directories (when needed
to avoid the build breaking).