[erlang-questions] My frustration with Erlang

Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Sun Sep 14 19:30:03 CEST 2008

Joel Reymont skrev:

> All my hard work paid off and I was able to get close to 10K players,
>  with kernel poll enabled, of course. Then I ran out of ETS tables.
>
> I don't create ETS tables on the fly but, apparently, Mnesia does.
> For every transaction!!!
>
> This prompted me to go through the server again and use dirty_read,
>  dirty_write wherever possible. I also placed balanced in two
> separate "counter" tables, integers to be divided by 10000 to get 4
> decimal points of precision. This is so that I could use
> dirty_update_counter instead of a regular read, bump, write pattern.

Did you try increasing the maximum number of ETS tables?

This is done using the environment variable ERL_MAX_ETS_TABLES

It can be set to a number considerably higher than the default
(1400 tables).

BR,
Ulf W