[erlang-questions] Parallel Shootout & a style question

Mats Cronqvist mats.cronqvist@REDACTED
Thu Sep 4 13:21:07 CEST 2008

Gleb Peregud wrote:
> It would be nice to include plists (or similar) into stdlib
> permanently. It will allow users of Erlang/OTP fine-tune their
> applications for SMP systems just by adding "p" (and Malt) where
> necessary. I think this issue should be in the hands of the
> programmer.

  that the competent programmer will always be able to tune her
application to however many cores she's targeting is a truism. the issue
at hand is what strategy the OTP libraries should use when the
programmer does not/cannot provide hints (or when running legacy code).

> Automatic "parallelization" of lists:* will not be
> efficient, at least without extensive compile-time (or even run-time)
> analysis of the code (if this is possible/feasible at all).
  "will not" is strong wording. can you provide some evidence to back
that up?

  mats