[erlang-questions] Why isn't erlang strongly typed?

Richard O'Keefe ok@REDACTED
Wed Oct 22 05:06:55 CEST 2008

On 22 Oct 2008, at 4:47 am, <attila.rajmund.nohl@REDACTED>
> It's not only about the documentation - it's about the documented
> functions itself too. My favourite example from mnesia - there's a two
> parameters dirty_read function:
>
> dirty_read(Tab, Key) -> ValueList | exit({aborted, Reason}
>
> but there's no two parameters read function. Annoys the heck out of me
> when I replace a dirty_read with a read and get a runtime error.

As I understand it, we have

	dirty_read({Tab,Key}) -> dirty_read(Tab, Key)
and
	read({Tab,Key}) -> ...

so it should be possible to add

	read(Tab, Key) -> read({Tab,Key})

I've just sent off an EEP for this.  Maybe that was the wrong
thing to do.  I'm sure someone @ericsson.com could have asked
somebody to add this.