[erlang-questions] erlang-questions Digest, Vol 17, Issue 45

Edwin Fine erlang-questions_efine@REDACTED
Thu Oct 9 21:52:09 CEST 2008

2008/10/9 John Haugeland <stonecypher@REDACTED>

> > I agree that there should be an operation that is
> > the converse of string:join/2.
>
> It's scutil:explode().  See http://scutil.com/ .    </shamelessPlug>

Maybe I'm just being a bit of an idealist here, but if there is an
operation, string:join, I'd really, really, like its inverse operation also
to be in the string module, namely, string:split. It's the symmetry.
Especially since there's no earthly reason I can see that string:split
should be (or have been) omitted.

I suppose they could rid of string:join and we could all use scutil:explode
(and I presume its inverse, scutil:implode?). But then that's another
module/application I need which is not part of the standard release.