[erlang-questions] Erlang for a measurement system?

Pablo Platt <>
Mon Nov 24 22:47:39 CET 2008

That's exactly what I'm trying to do.
I've found linux-gpib but it seems that all the logic is in the c files
and I'm not sure I can take advantage of erlang goodies.
I'll appreciate if anyone could give me a simple c interface for VISA/GPIB
and a corresponding erlang code or any advice.

From: Matthias Lang <>
To: Pablo Platt <>
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 11:30:24 PM
Subject: Re: [erlang-questions] Erlang for a measurement system?

On Monday, November 24, Pablo Platt wrote:

> Is it possible to communicate directly with hardware without using c code?

> I understand that on linux hardware is a file so is it possible to
> talk with the hardware with io erlang functions?

Some, but far from all, hardware on linux is a file. Even the ones that
are, e.g. serial ports, can't be controlled directly from Erlang because
Erlang won't let you open non-regular files. And for other reasons.

Most of the Erlang code I write controls proprietary hardware. It always
does that through C code. The trick is to keep the C code simple and
put the complexity up in Erlang.