[erlang-questions] Erlang for a measurement system?

Matthias Lang matthias@REDACTED
Mon Nov 24 22:30:24 CET 2008

On Monday, November 24, Pablo Platt wrote:

> Is it possible to communicate directly with hardware without using c code?

No.

> I understand that on linux hardware is a file so is it possible to
> talk with the hardware with io erlang functions?

Some, but far from all, hardware on linux is a file. Even the ones that
are, e.g. serial ports, can't be controlled directly from Erlang because
Erlang won't let you open non-regular files. And for other reasons.

Most of the Erlang code I write controls proprietary hardware. It always
does that through C code. The trick is to keep the C code simple and
put the complexity up in Erlang.

Matt