[erlang-questions] Erlang 3000?

Tim Fletcher twoggle@REDACTED
Thu Nov 20 15:03:15 CET 2008

> git is probably the most user unfriendly SCM tool I have come across.

I only used git as an example because that's what I'm familiar with. I
don't have much experience with the other distributed SCMs, but I
think the same would be true for them as well.

> I guess the question is more about code review tools than SCM tools.

Sure. My point was that with a distributed SCM you don't need a
separate tool to review code.

> Is the SVN/CVS plus web-based browsing and code review using google
> code not acceptable?

It's acceptable, but it raises the barrier to contribution. With the
Google Code setup a contributor needs to have a Google account (not
everyone does), and be given explicit access to the project (overhead
for project admins). They would then have to participate in code
review discussion, *in addition* to making the changes to the code
(more work for everyone).

With a distributed SCM, a contributor could make changes immediately.
Publishing the changes requires a bit more effort, but I think the
overall workflow is easier.