[erlang-questions] Scharfes S (WAS: Erlang 3000?)

David Mercer dmercer@REDACTED
Wed Nov 19 18:21:02 CET 2008

There are two use cases of case-changing that I can think of.

The first is for typographic reasons.  I don't think a programmatic approach
is ever going to satisfy every possible case automatically.

The other, however, is normalization, probably for comparison
purposes––i.e., case-insensitive comparisons.  In that case, being correct
typographically isn't as important as consistency in how you represent a
character.  Ignoring the Unicode normalization approaches (regarding accents
and combining characters, etc.), a simplistic up-casing algorithm may be all
that is needed.  Someone might object to up-casing the "p" in "pH", for
example, but this is not for typographical purposes, but simply for
normalization purposes.  With that in mind, I would imagine that that German
beta-looking character probably should be normalized to "SS", but bear in
mind that this is coming from someone who doesn't know German and probably
would have pronounced "straße" STRAYB, so I won't be the one to write that
canonical code. :-)

Please let me know if there are use cases I am missing and which enhance
this discussion.

Cheers,

David