[erlang-questions] Erlang for a measurement system?

Pablo Platt pablo.platt@REDACTED
Wed Nov 19 15:27:11 CET 2008

Hi,

We are considering erlang for building a controlled measurement system in our laboratory.
The erlang software will control several devices using VISA (GPIB, RS232, USB).

Are there any advantages for using erlang for this implementation?
Will erlang be able to control two different devices in parallel in a reliable way because of its 'share nothing' principle?
Is synchronizing several process (resolution of ms) an advantage of erlang or is it mainly an hardware issue?
Is synchronizing several computers(resolution of ms) an advantage of erlang?
Are there know implementations of erlang for controlling measurement devices (VISA)?
Is there an advantage of using erlang compared to python (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/PyVISA/1.3).

Appreciate your feedback,
Pablo