[erlang-questions] [Q] dialyzer message: The pattern X can never match the type Y

Tobias Lindahl tobias.lindahl@REDACTED
Thu May 29 10:58:39 CEST 2008

Ladislav,

Per is correct in his explanation, but I just wanted to clarify further
that the warnings from Dialyzer is correct.

In your code you have only one call to the non-exported function
create_files/2 where the second argument is tagged with 'yrl'

  create_files(Path, {yrl, "f", rebuilt_mod_time}),

Since the function is not exported, the information gets forwarded from
the call site. In the function clause where this is matched, you then
check the third position of the tuple in the second argument.

create_files(Path, {yrl, Prefix, Type}) when Type == up_to_date; Type ==
rebuilt_no_exist; Type == rebuilt_mod_time ->
  case Type of
     up_to_date ->
  case Type of
     rebuilt_no_exist ->
  case Type of
     up_to_date ->

The case clauses cannot match because the atom is always
'rebuilt_mod_time' because of the call forwarding, and Dialyzer emits
warnings about this.

Ladislav Lenart wrote:
> Ok, this should be it, except that I think the code is actually
> executed. Thanks to your explanation, I finally managed to create
> a module that reports the warning. It is based on the real module.

I hope it is now clear that the code in the case clauses never executes.
In fact, we strive to have sound (i.e., never false) warnings from
Dialyzer, so we are very interested in getting reports where the
warnings are suspicious, either to clarify them or to fix the bugs that
cause them.

Best regards,
Tobias