[erlang-questions] Fwd: Suggestion: New Info item for process_info/2

Fri May 16 09:35:56 CEST 2008

On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 01:13:38PM -0400, Edwin Fine wrote:
> LOL. I probably deserved that. Thanks for the replies - SOMEONE is out
> there!
>
> Matt, the solution is workable, and I avoid pain as much as the next guy,
> but I really want to have something that will TELL me what all the valid
> process_info items are. process_info/1 only gives me SOME of them and is for
> debugging only.
>
> Ok, then; here's a suggestion:
>
> Erlang team, How about adding an info item of "all" for process_info/2? It
> won't break the interface, and it will allow people like me to "query"
> process_info for which items are valid.

We have thought of an 'all' item for process_info/2, but
all items includes very strange and specialized ones,
we are not proud of all of them, plus some are heavy
to produce and some give duplicate information.

Therefore we have more or less concluded that anyone
who wants all items does not want all items, just
all the ones that are interesting, and beleive me
you are not interested in getting all of the
items process_info/2 can produce, especially not
all it will be able to produce in the future.

Use your handcoded list, the chance an item will be removed
is small, but to be prepared for that you can call process_info/2
in a loop and shield it with a try .. catch block.