[erlang-questions] Distributed erlang problem

Chandru chandrashekhar.mullaparthi@REDACTED
Wed Mar 19 10:54:47 CET 2008

I am having a hard time figuring out how to get a few nodes to talk to each
other within certain rules. See figure below. Each box is a separate
physical server. The small boxes inside each big box are LAN cards.

  +------------------+        +------------------+
  |               +--+        +--+               |
  | db1@REDACTED |  |........|  | db1@REDACTED |
  |               +--+        +--+               |
  |    +-oam--+      |        |       +-oam-+    |
  +----+--+---+------+        +-------+--+--+----+
          |                              |
          |                              |
          |                              |
          |                              |
          |      +-------------------+   |
          |      |                   |   |
          |      |                   |   |
          +------+       OMC         ....|
                 |                   |
                 |                   |
                 +-------------------+

I've got two database nodes on two hosts, each of which have two LAN cards.
One set of LAN cards are called the replication interfaces; they connect via
a special LAN which is very low latency and high bandwidth. This is used for
mnesia replication. To enable this, I start the DB nodes with the -sname
parameter set to 'db1@REDACTED'.

Now there is a separate OMC node which should talk to the DB nodes via
distributed erlang on another set of interfaces. The problem is that the
'host1-rep' interface is not reachable from the OMC host (due to security
issues). Only the 'host1-oam' interface is reachable. But, on the OMC node,
'db1@REDACTED' is an unknown node.

It seems that I need a feature where an erlang node on a machine can be
reached via multiple  names, such as 'db1@REDACTED', 'db1@REDACTED', '
db1@REDACTED, but I doubt this capability exists.

Any suggestions? Anyone else had similar issues to deal with?

regards,
Chandru