[erlang-questions] Erlang GUIs

Mariano Guerra luismarianoguerra@REDACTED
Sun Mar 16 22:12:48 CET 2008

2008/3/15 Dale Harvey <harveyd@REDACTED>:
> I would certainly put a vote in for yaws / a server based application
> with a flash / javascript front end.
>
> Both flash and javascript have widget libraries that are at least as
> easy to use and powerful than their desktop counterparts.
>
> If you are planning to have a heavily customised interface i would suggest
> something like jquery / dojo / prototype.
>
> If you are planning on using a more familiar widget set then extjs or
> flex are probably better places to start looking.
>
> if you need more os intergration than traditional flash / js can
> do Adobe Air is another product to look at. (or the previously
> mentioned swing / wxwidgets)

Hi, im new here, I started learning erlang by reading the book of joe
armostrong.

I think a good approach will be to write some kind of wrapper or
utility library around XUL[1] to output a feature rich GUI over a web
server, then you have the best of both worlds.  A great and unified
GUI and all written on erlang (some javascript will be needed but
that's not a problem I guess).

Here are some nice examples (requires a gecko based browser);
* http://www.faser.net/mab/chrome/content/mab.xul
* http://xulplanet.com/testcases/example-viewer.xul
* firefox/seamonkey/thunderbird/songbird
* http://songbirdnest.com/

you can use XulRunner[2] or Prism[3] to run "desktop applications" or
just give the user an URL.

by using this as the GUI library you have a lot of advantages, you
have a desktop look and feel, transition to a web applications is
realy easy, you dont have bindings, the GUI is described on separated
files, platform independence etc.

Hope that helps :P

[1] http://www.xulplanet.com/
[2] http://developer.mozilla.org/es/docs/XULRunner