[erlang-questions] erlang sucks

Armando Di Cianno armando@REDACTED
Mon Mar 10 16:52:07 CET 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 15:09 +0000, Hasan Veldstra wrote:
> The important thing is that Erlang gets the hard fundamental stuff
> right. The rest can be improved with time.

This is very true -- however, it also means that the community now needs
to go through the EEP's, massive discussion of somekind, strong arm
someone with commit access, or enter into some kind of bureaucratic
ordealto do something like improve support for UTF-8 or strings, instead
of just /fixing it/.

Shouldn't the "hard fundamental stuff" be that which deserves
discussion, and the simple, pretty stuff already be in place?  With
people we are  aware of both, can't we get the pretty stuff in
place /now/, and improve it's performance /later/?

This is clearly going to be a recurring theme in Erlang-world as more
and more people see the power in Erlang, and are turned to stone viewing
the visage of it's warts.

--
Armando Di Cianno
http://dicianno.org/blog