[erlang-questions] wkipedia rendering engine

Andre Engels andreengels@REDACTED
Mon Jun 30 12:39:15 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 11:39 AM, Joe Armstrong <erlang@REDACTED> wrote:

> We (collectively) promised to help Alexander - I promised to provide him with a
> rendering engine (in Erlang) for the wikipedia markup language.
>
> Before I start hacking has anybody done this before?

What exactly do you mean by a 'rendering engine'? Translating the
markup language (its name is Mediawiki, by the way) to something else?

It's not a trivial task you have set yourself. There are some elements
that are quite complex, for example the fact that '' is italics and
''' is bold. Notice the difference between:

'''this is bold'''

'''this is italic, starting with a ' ''

'''this is bold '' and this part italic as well '''''

Also deciding on what point of the analysis to expand {{templates}}
can lead the same code to get very different results.

--
Andre Engels, andreengels@REDACTED
ICQ: 6260644 -- Skype: a_engels