[erlang-questions] Ideas for a new Erlang

Sven-Olof Nystr|m svenolof@REDACTED
Fri Jun 27 13:49:04 CEST 2008

Mats Cronqvist writes:
 > > Selective receive is complex and unnecessary.
 > >
 >   over the years i've worked with perhaps 300 erlang programmers,
 > pretty much all of which have been less accomplished computer scientists
 > than Sven-Olof. and there are many things in Erlang that they've found
 > complex, unnecessary, or both. the syntax, higher order functions, list
 > comprehensions, recursion, bignums... pretty much everything in Erlang/OTP.
 >   everything, that is, except two things; selective receive and hot code
 > and unnecessary.

I guess we'll have to differ on that point.

I've met many people, who even after having quite a bit of experience
with Erlang had trouble answering simple questions such as: if a
receive matches many patterns, say

receive
    {foo, X} -> ... ;
    {bar, Y} -> ...
end

and there are messages in the mailbox matching both patterns, which
clause and which message is selected? Then there is the issue with
guards, of course.

Now, even with selective receive Erlang's process communication is far
easier to use than most models for process communiaction programmers
are likely to come in contact with, so I'm not surprised that they are
pleased with Erlang's selective receive.

 >  now Sven-Olof is obviously entitled to his opinion

thanks :-)

sven-olof