[erlang-questions] The re module documentation

Doug Edmunds dougedmunds@REDACTED
Mon Jun 16 17:35:53 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jun 16, 2008 at 8:11 AM, Sverker Eriksson <sverker@REDACTED>
wrote:

> http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/opaque:
>
> "(computing) Describes a type for which higher-level callers have no
> knowledge of data values or their representations; all operations are
> carried out by the type's defined abstract operators."
>
> /Sverker, Erlang/OTP Ericsson
>
> Thanks.
The only other usage of opaque datatype that I find in the docs is  in
/Lib/stdlib-1.15.3/Doc/Html/ets.html

ets:is_compiled_ms/1

"This function is used to check if a term is a valid compiled
match_spec<file:///C:/Erlang/Lib/stdlib-1.15.3/Doc/Html/ets.html#match_spec>.
The compiled match_spec is an opaque datatype which can *not* be sent
between Erlang nodes nor be stored on disk. Any attempt to create an
external representation of a compiled match_spec will result in an empty
binary (<<>>)."

-- dae