[erlang-questions] clueless newbie can't compile

Robert Virding rvirding@REDACTED
Mon Jun 16 03:23:24 CEST 2008

2008/6/16 John Chandler <morph@REDACTED>:

> I can't interpret the error message, either.
>
> And then, within erl, to type "c(tut).".  Which also seems fine.  What
> happens is:
>
> ====
> 1> c(tut).
> ** exited: {undef,[{compile,file,[tut,[report_errors,report_warnings]]},
>                    {c,c,2},
>                    {erl_eval,do_apply,5},
>                    {shell,exprs,6},
>                    {shell,eval_loop,3}]} **
>
> =ERROR REPORT==== 15-Jun-2008::20:07:51 ===
> Error in process <0.29.0> with exit value: {undef,[{compile,file,[tut,
> [report_errors,report_warnings]]},{c,c,2},{erl_eval,do_apply,5},
> {shell,exprs,6},{shell,eval_loop,3}]}

Not being familiar with CEAN I don't really know why, but the error report
indicates that the function compile:file/2 is undefined, the 'undef ' error.
In this case this is caused by Erlang not being able to find the compile
module as we know the file/2 function exists in the module.

As I said I am not familiar with CEAN so I can't help you with *why* Erlang
can't find the module.

Robert