[erlang-questions] Twoorl: an open source Twitter clone

Steve Davis steven.charles.davis@REDACTED
Wed Jun 4 18:08:48 CEST 2008

On Jun 4, 10:12 am, Lev Walkin <v...@REDACTED> wrote:
> ... yet, with relaxed ACID properties, making it much more scalable.

The level to which I disagree with your conclusion here is quite
profound! I see a large-scale future of lost messages, data
corruption, file replication and synchronization issues, and
*downtime* for the FS approach.

The raw FS solution IMHO will only "work" up to a point... in a sense
the FS suggestion parallels (but is not the same as) MySQL's early and
conscious sacrifice of referential integrity for performance (InnoDB
does not resolve this btw, for those that know the issues with MySQL).
This decision at MySQL has resulted in numerous high-profile scaling
issues for many services that committed to MySQL for their persistence
needs. Twitter isn't a good example of this kind of failure - it
shouldn't have been using the RDBMS at all in the way that it did.

All in all, the fundamental application scope of Twitter simply
*screams* Message Queue at me. I'm not sure why the "experts" that
Twitter have scavenged from IBM and Google haven't come to that
conclusion also. Since Twitter have appeared to commit to a FS
approach, I guess we'll have to see if future history proves me
incorrect :)

/s