[erlang-questions] Design tool for erlang software

Torben Hoffmann torben.lehoff@REDACTED
Sun Jul 20 08:48:11 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 17, 2008 at 9:27 PM, Maxim Treskin <zerthurd@REDACTED> wrote:

> Hello
>
> Is there any design tool spesial for erlang software, escept paper
> sheet and pen?
> UML-designers, like umbrello, is comfortable for object-oriented code,
> not for process-oriented (yes, I know, it is possible).
> So, are you use some designer tools special for erlang code?

As I and others uttered at the Erlang Exchange 2008 the most important thing
to get right is the protocols between the entities of your system so your
first step should be to draw up an architecture diagram and focus on what
the protocols between the entities should be.

This does not require anything but pen and paper, but a drawing program and
a wiki has worked wonders in my team - makes it easier to share knowledge.

A design tool that looks promising for Erlang is Object-Process Methodology
(http://www.objectprocess.org/)
 I have read the book and after my summer vacation I will start
experimenting with OPM for design of Erlang/OTP systems.

Cheers,
Torben