[erlang-questions] erts design information/experts around?

Raimo Niskanen <>
Thu Jul 3 17:53:03 CEST 2008

On Thu, Jul 03, 2008 at 10:12:27AM -0500, Paul Fisher wrote:
> I sent the following note to erlang-bugs two days ago and have not seen
> anyone comment.
> > We have a system where we run lots of linked-in driver ports that get
> > created/used/closed frequently and sometimes very quickly.  Today when
> > several open_port/2, port_command/2 and port_close/1 cycles happened
> > rapid succession, a SIGSEGV occurrect in erl_bif_ddl.c:
> >
> > Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
> > [Switching to Thread 1125235040 (LWP 12087)]
> > 0x0000000000449712 in erl_ddll_try_unload_2 (p=0x2aaaab11fc90,
> >     name_term=659339, options=46912503328425) at beam/erl_bif_ddll.c:592
> >
> ???This is not the first email about runtime internals that I have sent
> which has gone without comment, and so I am wondering if the people with
> detailed knowledge of the runtime do not follow these lists.

They are on vacation. We would need both the experts on
SMP and the experts on Windows debugging.

Were it on Unix we would have requested a core dump,
but on Windows I do not know if there is such a thing,
or if there has to be a VisualStudio 8 installation
plus source code on the failing machine. The experts
on Windows debugging would know.

> Is there a better place/way to get in contact?  (What I am really
> looking for is a discussion of the overall internals design of the smp
> runtime structures, so that I can get a jump start on fixing these types
> of thing myself.)

Erlang-questions is a good place. Here there are lots of
smart guys that not all read erlang-bugs and may
have a clue.