[erlang-questions] "processor affinity" for processes

Kenneth Lundin kenneth.lundin@REDACTED
Mon Jan 14 19:42:28 CET 2008

See questions below.

On Jan 10, 2008 3:24 PM, Zvi <exta7@REDACTED> wrote:

> Another usefull feature will be specifying CPU Affinity for ports and
> external processes launched via os:cmd/1 .

This might be a potentially interesting feature, but what knowledge,
research or measurements do
you have which says that you get better performance with that feature?

> My current workarround is to launch script whcih temporary changing CPU
> affinity of the executable.

Can you explain more about this?
A workaround for what?
What do you want to achieve with explicit spec of CPU affinity?

Suppose you already use all processor cores or processors inside the
Erlang VM, how do
you then know if it pays off to specify a specific CPU for the external program?

/Kenneth Erlang/OTP team at Ericsson