[erlang-questions] Real time system

igwan igwan@REDACTED
Mon Jan 7 01:41:16 CET 2008

Nuwan Gamage a écrit :
> Hi,
> I want to know, how to program real time data processing system
>
> no7 signalling process system using "Erlang"
>
> How can I begin this pls guide me.
> (Is there any better interface with "Erlang" to show view above program
> pls specify how to create interface also)
>
> I wish to communicate with you through out my process continuously.
> Thanks
> Nuwan
Hi,

Erlang is a perfect match for telecom signalling, you've come to the
right place :) It all depends on what you want to do with these
signalling messages. Are you implementing a call server (a switch) ? A
SS7 probe ? A gateway ?
Regarding interfaces, Erlang does SCTP/IP, so you can process SS7
tunneled into M2UA/M3UA. If you're going to have hardware trunk cards
directly into your system, you'll need glue code to communicate with
your Erlang node, there is a number of ways to do (ports, C nodes,
linked-in drivers), look into the "Interoperability" section of the
documentation. Erlang also has a MEGACO/H.248 library for controlling a
media gateway.
As for the application itself, Erlang is about decomposing your system
into processes (truly concurrent activities). For example, in the case
of a switch, a call through it would be modelled as one or a group of
FSMs (look into the documentation for the gen_fsm behaviour, there's a
example of modelling POTS, altough simplistic). You would also have a
process for each trunk or termination to manage physical resources...

If you're new to Erlang, I advise you read Joe Armstrong's book to get
started, then look into OTP behaviours and interoperability. You would
then have a better idea where to go from there.

--
igwan