[erlang-questions] sl module from jungerl/CEAN

Mikl Kurkov <>
Wed Feb 27 10:23:44 CET 2008

Hi, Kirill!
In my current project I have to work with some device via serial port too.
After looking at several C drivers I found it much more easier just to open
file descriptors to that port directly in start script and work with them
via ordinal erlang port, created as
open_port({fd, FdPortIn, FdPortOut}, [stream, binary]). Also you will have
to setup port parameters via stty.

It works pretty well for me in Linux, but may be you will find this approach
usefull too.

Here is example of start.sh

export DEV=/dev/ttyUSB0

#serial port config
stty -F $DEV \
115200 rows 0 columns 0 line 0 min 1 time 0 \
intr ^- quit ^-  erase ^- kill ^- eof ^- \
eol ^- eol2 ^- swtch ^- start ^- stop ^- \
susp ^- rprnt ^- werase ^- lnext ^- flush ^- \
-parenb -parodd cs8 -hupcl -cstopb cread clocal crtscts \
ignbrk -brkint ignpar -parmrk -inpck -istrip \
-inlcr -igncr -icrnl -ixon -ixoff -iuclc -ixany -imaxbel -iutf8 \
-opost -olcuc -ocrnl -onlcr -onocr -onlret -ofill -ofdel \
nl0 cr0 tab0 bs0 vt0 ff0 \
-isig -icanon -iexten -echo -echoe -echok -echonl -noflsh -xcase -tostop
-echoprt \
-echoctl -echoke

#port file descriptors variables (will be used by application to open port)
export DEV_FDIN=7
export DEV_FDOUT=8

exec 7< $DEV
exec 8> $DEV

# application start
erl -boot start_sasl -config sys.config -pa ./ebin  -s app start_script