[erlang-questions] trouble getting application to load

Jed McCaleb jed@REDACTED
Sat Dec 20 16:22:40 CET 2008

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 9:38 AM, Nicolas Charpentier <
nc-dated-1234967906.3da55a@REDACTED> wrote:

> Jed McCaleb wrote:
>
>> So I installed erlang from EPEL on a centos machine. I can't seem to get
>> odbc to work on it though. I get:
>> 12> application:start(odbc).
>> {error,{"no such file or directory","odbc.app"}}
>>
>> but
>> # locate odbc.app
>> /usr/lib/erlang/lib/odbc-2.10.2/ebin/odbc.app

>> I don't understand how application:load works. How does it know where to
>> look for these .app files?
>> Thanks for any help,
>> Jed.
>>

> Hi,
>
> application:load/1 uses the code path to find the app file.
> in your erlang shell type:
>
> 1> code:add_path("/usr/lib/erlang/lib/odbc-2.10.2/ebin/").
> true
> 2> application:load(odbc).
> ok
> 3>
>
> I never compiled odbc on my computer but I think that you have something
> strange with your erlang installation. Usually all code paths are set by
>  the start.boot file.
> How did you install the odbc application ?

Ah thanks that works. And after code:root_dir(). I realized what was going
wrong was it was running the erl that I had installed from source.