[erlang-questions] extending function clauses

Ittay Dror <>
Fri Dec 19 14:59:58 CET 2008

Is it possible to add clauses to a function that is defined in another

More elaborately: say a 3rd party module 'geometry' defines a function
'area', for each shape (shapes are defined as tuples where the first element
is an atom naming the shape) there is a clause (so there is a clause for
'circle', 'square' etc.). Now, I have a new shape. Can I extend
'geometry:area' so it can handle my new shape (by adding a new clause). I
cannot change the original module's file. 'geometry:area' is used by other
functions to do more sophisticated stuff (so defining my own area function
is not effective). If not, what is the erlang way of handling this

Thank you,
Sent from the Erlang Questions mailing list archive at Nabble.com.