[erlang-questions] io:format problem within a process, but not in the shell

Nicolas Charpentier nc@REDACTED
Tue Dec 16 17:24:24 CET 2008

Hi,

With the few information you gave I might have some suppositions:

1)- the Set might not be a set when your process receive the message repr.

2)- Your erlang WM might be stopped *before* all io events be treated.

Regards,

Eric Holbrook wrote:
> Why doesn't *all* of my io:format code work w/in the context of my
> process?
>

> <code>
>
> setMgr( Set ) ->
>     receive
>         {repr} ->
>             io:format("Set elements: ~n"),
>             [io:format("    ~p~n", [Elem]) || Elem <- sets:to_list(Set)],
>             setMgr(Set);
>         {other various blocks to add/modify my internal set 'Set'} ->
>     end.
>
> </code>
>
> When i send the {repr} msg to a 'setMgr' process, i get the 'Set
> elements' output, but somehow the list comprehension part doesn't show
> up in STDOUT.
>
> However, if i create a set named Set in the shell, and execute the
> list comprehension line, it works fine.
>
> tia,
> Eric

----