[erlang-questions] better profiler for erlang / ways to troubleshoot a running system

Kenneth Lundin kenneth.lundin@REDACTED
Tue Dec 9 21:55:56 CET 2008

There is already support for following a "forlopp" of messages
originating from a certain point.
Take a look at the seq_trace module.
The sequential tracing can be activated by code that you prepare
yourself in your app or
by use of match specifications see
http://www.erlang.org/doc/apps/erts/match_spec.html#1
and here
http://www.erlang.org/doc/man/dbg.html#advanced

where you se an example of how to activate sequential tracing without
preparation of
your application code. Just trace on something suitable where you can activate
the sequential trace.

Note it is Erlang messages that creates the sequence going from Erlang
process to Erlang process.

/Kenneth Erlang/OTP, Ericsson