[erlang-questions] better profiler for erlang / ways to troubleshoot a running system

Joel Reymont joelr1@REDACTED
Tue Dec 9 19:43:05 CET 2008

I had a terrible bout with the Erlang profiler recently and a very
poor experience trying to understand the bottlenecks and issues while
scaling OpenPoker.

I'm wondering, how much of a market is there for a commercial Erlang
profiler or tool that lets you peer into a running system, trace
packets end to end, etc.

For example, I badly wanted to tag a certain packet incoming over a
socket and then timestamp it as it goes through the system, until a
reply packet is returned to the socket. I wanted to measure the time
it took my packet to go from function to function but couldn't.

I envision loading a trace message dump into triple store, gigabytes
of it, and then querying the data in various ways to better understand
the behavior of my system. A triple store holds subject/predicate/
object triples which map well to source pid/message/destination pid. A
good triple store should hold gigabytes of data with no trouble.

Thoughts?

--
http://wagerlabs.com