[erlang-questions] Problem using short names in OS X Leopard

Dane Jensen careo@REDACTED
Tue Dec 9 02:29:09 CET 2008

Hi All-

I'm running into problems using distributed Erlang with short names (-
sname) in R12-B5 installed through MacPorts in Leopard that I'm hoping
someone can help me sort out.

The gist of it is that they just don't work... at all.

Except,  the names show up in epmd -names, and I do get a conflict if
I start two nodes with the same name. So Erlang at least *knows*
there's another node with that name out there, but just can't connect
to it.

Nothing changes if I delete my ~/.erlang.cookie, or specify a cookie
on the command line for that matter.

Nothing also seems to change if I set my hostname to "odin" or
"odin.local".

If I switch to using full names, it all works though.

I'm completely stumped, but I have a suspicion that I'm missing
something right in front of my face. I'd greatly appreciate any
pointers to what could be going on.

Thanks,
-Dane