[erlang-questions] xmerl scan stream

Ulf Wiger ulf@REDACTED
Mon Dec 8 23:53:59 CET 2008

True, you can't really use it directly, but you can copy
the code. Basically, the read_chunk/2 function should
be replaced by something along the lines of:

read_chunk(Sofar) ->
    receive
        {tcp, _Socket, Bin} ->
            {ok, iolist_to_binary([Sofar, Bin])};
        {tcp, closed, _} ->
            eof
    end.

(View this as pseudo code.)

You should probably use gen_tcp:recv() instead, or
at least an {active, once} socket. But you need to
rewrite xmerl_eventp:stream/2 slightly.

The complication, when you get down to it, is that the
stream continuation fun must take care not to break
up the stream in the wrong place. This is because xmerl
doesn't use a proper tokenizer, but does a one-pass
parse which relies rather heavily on pattern matching.

This is what the find_good_split() function is for.

BR,
Ulf W