[erlang-questions] Any canonical bandwidth benchmarks for clusters?

Timothy Baldridge tbaldridge@REDACTED
Tue Dec 2 21:59:32 CET 2008

> I'm testing some code that is showing terrible bandwidth
> on our 40+ node Infiniband cluster (7 MB/sec for a ring benchmark!).
> This code is using the IP over IB interface and send big (1+ MB)
> messages around (binaries and non-binaries).  MPI code runs
> at good rates on this cluster.

This is probably a really stupid question, but how are you measuring
the bandwidth? The ring benchmark is only going to measure the
bandwidth of one node to another node at any given time. What you may
want is a mesh network where each node receives a single message and
then passes that off to another random node. This way half the nodes
can be talking to the other half and your bandwidth should go through
the roof.

It just seems that a ring benchmark is the wrong benchmark to use. But
I'm no Erlang guru.

Timothy