[erlang-questions] Why we need to use make_ref in pmap ?

lang qiu qiulang@REDACTED
Mon Dec 1 07:08:03 CET 2008

 I mean can' t we just use a simple atom, say pmap, so the implementation
will look like following,

*do_f(Parent, pmap, F, I) ->
   Parent ! {self(), pmap, (catch F(I))}.*

*gather([Pid|T], pmap) ->
receive
   {Pid, pmap, Ret} -> [Ret|gather(T, pmap)]
end;*
But I understand your point and I guess because it is the system function,
it has to make sure absolutely that it won't receive something else. If it
were not the system function, I guess a simple atom should be enough.

Do you agree ?