[erlang-questions] "Design patterns" for functional languages?

Kevin Scaldeferri kevin@REDACTED
Wed Aug 6 23:15:13 CEST 2008

On Aug 5, 2008, at 11:46 PM, David Mitchell wrote:

> I'm not sure I agree with the statement quoted by Michael that FP
> doesn't have the shortcomings of OO so GoF-like patterns aren't
> necessary.

Yeah, functional programming has _different_ patterns, not no
patterns.  And, in some sense they also highlight shortcomings.

For example, functional languages typically do not have lists that you
can append to efficiently, so we need the "Accumulate and Reverse"
pattern.

Erlang doesn't allow you to enumerate the messages a process can
receive, so we have a "Hide Message-Passing Behind Functions" pattern.

I'm sure others can pitch in with more examples.

-kevin