[erlang-questions] small build

Matthias Lang matthias@REDACTED
Thu Apr 17 09:36:14 CEST 2008

Steve Vinoski writes:

 > Also, how does one build from source (I'm on Linux, BTW) in such a way
 > to ensure that C object files, libraries, and executables are not
 > debuggable (and are maybe even stripped), erlang sources are compiled
 > without +debug_info, etc. in order to minimize system size?

As far as I know, there is no canned way.

I hack otp.mk.in to change the ERL_COMPILE_FLAGS (to cut .beam size)
and run strip from outside the OTP build process (to cut executable size).

Then there's the related problem of "how do I get rid of all the
.beams I never use". xref is a useful tool, but ultimately the process
is mostly manual. The OTP libraries aren't layered.

Matt