[erlang-questions] Open source licenses, which one to choose

Benjamin Tolputt bjt@REDACTED
Wed Apr 9 04:23:41 CEST 2008

G'day Robert (& list);

Personally, I think you should use any license you're happy with. I have
a small political bias against GPL3 (there are some weird restrictions
in there designed to "thwart evil-doers"), but I have no hassles
implementing or using GPL2.

For your purposes, I would suggest the MIT license if you are just after
credit being retained in derivatives, or MPL (Mozilla Public License) if
you desire credit retained AND changes to remain in the open. MIT is GPL
compatible (but can be modified without contributing back into the
open); whereas MPL is not strictly GPL compatible (however it keeps
changes in the open).

--Ben