[erlang-questions] Comma, semicolon. Aaaaa

Ahmed Ali ahmed.nawras@REDACTED
Sun Sep 16 12:55:39 CEST 2007

Hi Lone,

I'll try to give you my view on the syntax. The comma (,) is like (;) in
languages like Java/C. Each method is ended with a Dot (.). If you have more
than one method with the same number parameters (called arity in Erlang),
you need to separate them with  (;).  There is no similar construct in
Java/C for this.

Similarly, you can think of if/case statements, which use (;) to separate
different if/case conditions,  (,) to separate clauses for each condition,
and (.) to indicate the end of if/case statement.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Ahmed Al-Issaei