[erlang-questions] distel doesn't work on my windows xp. but well on Ubuntu 7.04

Bill Clementson billclem@REDACTED
Fri Sep 14 17:29:32 CEST 2007

krzycube <yuxh312@REDACTED> writes:

> i copy my issue from distel wiki in googlecode.
>
> What steps will reproduce the problem?
> 0. set up distel: with below code:
> (add-to-list 'load-path "D:\\HOME\\distel\\elisp")
> (when (locate-library "distel")
> (require 'distel)
> (distel-setup)
> ;; (add-hook 'erlang-mode-hook 'distel-erlang-mode-hook) ; now with apt-
> get
> (add-hook 'erlang-mode-hook
> '(lambda ()
> (unless erl-nodename-cache
> (distel-load-shell))))
> (defun distel-load-shell ()
> "Load/reload the erlang shell connection to a distel node"
> (interactive)
> ;; Set default distel node name
> (setq erl-nodename-cache 'emacs@REDACTED)
> (setq distel-modeline-node "emacs")
> (force-mode-line-update)
> ;; Start up an inferior erlang with node name `distel'
> (let ((file-buffer (current-buffer))
> (file-window (selected-window)))
> (setq inferior-erlang-machine-options '("-sname" "emacs"))
> (switch-to-buffer-other-window file-buffer)
> (inferior-erlang)
> (select-window file-window)
> (switch-to-buffer file-buffer))))
>
> 1. run emacs 22.1 on windows xp pro
> 2. M-x erlang-mode
> 3. C-c C-z to run erlang-shell .
> 4.C-x C-f open some erlang source
> 5.c(xx.erl,[debug_info]).
> 5.C-c C-d n , connet to node named emacs@REDACTED as configured before
> 6.C-c C-d L , try to reload code. then here failed.
>
> here servral steps:
> first , can not find ~/.erlang.cookie , then i create it.
> why didn't this create itself ?
> after this , i face the message below:
>
> What is the expected output? What do you see instead?
>
> if: Can't handle event closed in state
> derl-recv-challenge-ack
> Can't handle event closed in state
> derl-recv-challenge-ack
>
> What version of the product are you using? On what operating system?
> Erlang (BEAM) emulator version 5.5.5 [async-threads:0]
>
> Eshell V5.5.5 (abort with ^G)
>
> on windows xp.
>
> Please provide any additional information below.
>
> i have tried distel before on my Ubuntu 7.04 with Emacs 21.3 , it works well.
> but on windows , it doesn't.
>
> and i also try to google this error message , found something ,said:
> there's newline in the cookie file , also i try to fix derl.el , but failed .
>
> --
> "Yu Xihe" as Chinese Name
> "Martin" as English Name
> "KrzyCube" as Nickname

I don't normally use Windows; however, I did recently setup distel on
a Windows box. I encountered similar problems when I used a copy of
ntemacs which was based on the unicode branch of cvs emacs. However,
after switching to the released Emacs 22.1 (not cvs emacs), distel
worked fine. You indicated that you were using emacs 22.1, so maybe
this isn't your problem. However, if you are using the unicode branch
of cvs emacs, you might want to try installing the released emacs 22.1
instead.

Alternatively, if you're getting an error message that says something
about there being a newline in the cookie file, you could use hexl
mode to find and remove the newline (or recreate the cookie).

If you continue to encounter problems, you should post details on the
distel mailing list
(http://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.erlang.distel.devel).

- Bill