[erlang-questions] "Erlang plus BDB: Disrupting the Conventional Web Wisdom"

Ulf Wiger (TN/EAB) ulf.wiger@REDACTED
Fri Oct 12 10:19:53 CEST 2007

Chris Newcombe wrote:

> It would be fantastic if someone hooked-up mnesia and/or dets to BDB
> via the EDTK driver.  However I have no plans to do it myself at the
> moment.

This was one of the things I was hoping for when I introduced
a low-level table plug-in API in the rdbms contrib.

Joel R took my implementation and patched mnesia to use the
Amazon EC3 as a mnesia backend.

(At least he studied my code, and then wrote his own -
http://wagerlabs.com/archives/105.html)

I didn't try my hack with BDB, but rather implemented a few
easier plugin types (a disk_log-style table and a file system
mount point).

One of the disadvantages of my approach was that it allows for
no errors in the plug-in code. Any crash in the low-level
access functions will cause mnesia to dump core. If one is
willing to live with this, the API is quite easy to deal with.

BR,
Ulf W