[erlang-questions] "Erlang plus BDB: Disrupting the Conventional Web Wisdom"

Chris Newcombe chris.newcombe@REDACTED
Thu Oct 11 21:29:22 CEST 2007

I'd recommend using EDTK 1.5.1, available from here:

   http://www.snookles.com/erlang/edtk/

>    My question is how stable and complete is the library for Erlang?

Obviously I'm biased as I put a lot of work into updating EDTK
precisely to make BDB support 'industrial strength'.

I've done a lot of testing (on linux only) and it appears to be stable
(indeed it comes with about 20 official patches for Berkeley DB from
Oracle to fix bugs that I found during stress testing).

It is also mostly complete; all major BDB subsystems are supported,
including transactions, replication, full configuration, the 'stats'
APIs (which return internal metadata that is vital for performance
tuning etc), distributed transactions (including a ready-to-roll
'Global Transaction Manager' server), and even replicated distributed
transactions :)

The test-suite is also quite comprehensive.  Sadly some of the tests
contain timers and timeouts that are somewhat hardware dependent -- it
passes on my test systems, but fails on machines that differ
significantly from those machines in performance.

> Can it be used for real life applications? Has some one used it?

There are people building industrial systems with it, but
unfortunately can't give more details.  Also, the Berkeley DB team at
Oracle is investigating whether to use it to enhance their own testing
of BDB-HA (replication), as Erlang makes distributed tests so much
easier than other approaches.

> Also I could not find a proper usage documentation or at least an API.

Here is a fairly detailed introduction:

  http://www.snookles.com/erlang/edtk/edtk-1.5.1.README-cnewcom

There is also significant API documentation at the top of most of the
modules in examples/berkeley_db, all in the tarball.    (Also there
are two stand alone short examples, with and without replication, that
both have documentation.)

  http://www.snookles.com/erlang/edtk/edtk-1.5.1.tar.gz

Here is some rationale and detail for the design and changes to EDTK

  http://www.snookles.com/erlang/edtk/EDTK_BerkeleyDB.pdf

Chris