[erlang-questions] Erlang Workshop 2007: TCP/IP Connectivity Presentation

Francesco Cesarini francesco@REDACTED
Wed Oct 10 16:58:05 CEST 2007

The paper / slides on Optimising TCP/IP connectivity in network
intensive Erlang systems are already online.

Paper:
http://www.erlang-consulting.com/thesis/tcp_optimisation/tcp_optimisation.html

Slides:
http://www.erlang-consulting.com/thesis/tcp_optimisation/tcp_optimisation_slides.pdf

*Abstract:* With the increased Use of network enabled applications and
server hosted software systems, scalability with respect to network
connectivity is becoming an increasingly important subject. The
programming language Erlang has previously been shown to be a suitable
choice for creating highly available, scalable and robust telecoms
systems. In this exploratory study we want to investigate how to
optimise an Erlang system for maximum TCP/IP connectivity in terms of
operating system, tuning of the operating system TCP stack and tuning of
the Erlang Runtime System. The study shows how a series of benchmarks
are used to evaluate the impact of these factors and how to evaluate the
best settings for deploying and configuring an Erlang application. We
conclude that the choice of operating system and the use of kernel poll
both have a major impact on the scalability of the benchmarked systems.

The paper and slides on priority messaging and the presentation on
comparing Erlang and C++ from CUFP will be put online tomorrow.

Regards,
Francesco