[erlang-questions] [LONG] How to make synchronous message passing

Adam Lindberg adam@REDACTED
Wed Oct 3 09:31:53 CEST 2007

What you are doing by using a synchronous sending mechanism as described
above AND letting both P and Q send requests to each other is effectively
implementing dead lock. Because messages will cross, sooner or later, and if
both P and Q can send requests to each other and these requests cross in
between you have a dead lock. You should consider what you really want to
achieve with synchronous message passing (or rather synchronous requests,
there are no such thing as synchronous message passing, it is one way only).

Synchronous requests can be desirable in certain situations, but almost
never in a P <-> Q relation. Then you would also need atomic synchronous
message requests. That could maybe be achieved but very unlikely what you
really want.

Cheers!
Adam