[erlang-questions] QUestions about erlang

Christian S <>
Tue Nov 6 14:27:44 CET 2007

I can hear how other subscribers are tapping away their mail response
to you, so prepare your mailbox to be erlang-questions-dotted

> - Is erlang fast?

It is not good as good at number crunching as ocaml or low level
imperative languages. It does however build fast systems, see this

Also, erlang is very succinct and quick coded. That's an important way
to be fast.

> - How is the persistence/database connection?

My opinion: They work, but they're not to impress with.
Erlang has a database called mnesia that provide much higher
transaction rates than links to external dbs, mnesia also support
distribution over several nodes.

> - Is fully object oriented?

It is fully concurrency oriented.  Erlang is religiously against
hiding mutable state inside objects.

> - What about graphical interface for the apps? and web frontend?

You can create desktop guis using the 'gs' application which is back
ended in Tcl/Tk. This will not impress anyone. There is 'gtknode', a
c-node, a way for erlang to communicate with a c program running GTK+
to exchange events. I dont have experience with it, but it seems great
and you can build the GUI part in Glade.

There is soon a number of web server alternatives popping up. Yaws is
the popular one so far, but I think that might change now that other
commercially used and tested web servers are going open source.

> - PocketPC, Palm support?

There is an ARM port of erlang, might require some assembly.

> - What about the community for support?

Ridiculously good. If I dont get an answer in freenode #erlang within
minutes I get a very good answer from this list in an hour. If it is
during swedish office hours you often get support from the author
directly. It's good to be small.

> - Spanish erlang-developers?

I can't say I have noticed any larger group of spanish erlang developers.