[erlang-questions] port_close/1 problem (Serge Aleynikov)

Ingela Anderton Andin ingela@REDACTED
Thu Nov 1 10:42:17 CET 2007

Hi!

A suggestion is to solve this little problem the way that the
odbc-port-program does.
The odbc port-program has two threads one supervisor thread and one
thread that does
the actual work.  Both  threads set up an ordinary socket to the erlang
process and then
communicates through them. The supervisor thread waits for a message
from erlang and
if it gets it it will exit the c-process. So the erlang process can at
any time for any reason it sees fit
terminate the c-process. Of course there are other reasons why  the odbc
port-program does want to use sockets and not at all use the pipe to
communicate with erlang, except initially. (These are not relevant here,
let me just say it has to do with handling all sorts of ill behaved
odbc-drivers)

Another suggestion could be to try to use the supervisor_bridge
functionality, I have never had the chance
to use it in reality so I have no hands on knowledge of it, but it could
be worth considering.

Regards Ingela  - OTP team