[erlang-questions] : Subtle behaviour of Erlang scheduler

Rickard Green <>
Thu May 31 11:49:10 CEST 2007

KatolaZ wrote:

>>> So, just for the purpose of discussion, why don't think at "virtual"
>>> synchronisation points for high priority procs ? I.e., if a high
>>> priority task has not been interrupted for X reductions (beeing X a
>>> relatively large integer), then goto do_schedule1 anyway, letting
>>> other high priority process to run....
>> If I understood you right, you want the scheduling to work as it is
>> implemented right now.
>> Regardless of priority, a process is unconditionally scheduled out when
>> it has consumed (currently) 2000 reductions (since it was last scheduled
>> in). I.e., a busy loop in a high priority process will not prevent other
>> high priority processes from running, but it will prevent normal and low
>> priority processes from running.
> Unfortunately, it seems to be false, or I'm missing something!  Here
> is a simple example where all code for high prio processes is loaded
> (it is indeed a self-contained module!), and proc_high2 is starved by
> proc_high:

No, it is not false. The problem is that proc_high2 never gets the
chance the set prio high. It is still on prio normal. You have to spawn
it with prio high (see spawn_opt) in order for this example to work as
expected (and it will; i've tried it).

Rickard Green, Erlang/OTP, Ericsson AB.